Baby’s Death Could Have Been Prevented, Inquest Concludes

An inquest jury has concluded that a tragic incident involving the death of a six-month-old baby who had been discharged from a hospital with chicken pox could have been prevented. The baby, Hunter Martin, passed away after being mistakenly given an overdose of antibiotics, which was ten times the prescribed amount, on multiple occasions. The Derbyshire coroner stated that while the drugs blunder minimally contributed to the baby’s death, there was insufficient evidence to prove it played a significant role.

Chesterfield Royal Hospital, where the incident occurred, is now reviewing 23 different aspects to enhance its care standards. The parents of the baby, Jade Smith and Alex Martin, expressed feeling deeply disappointed by the National Health Service (NHS) for the tragic outcome.

Following a thorough inquest, the jury determined that Hunter’s cause of death was sepsis and a Group A Streptococcus infection related to chicken pox. The decision to discharge him from the hospital on a particular date was also identified as a contributing factor to his demise.

The investigation highlighted two missed opportunities where Hunter’s deteriorating condition could have been escalated to critical care earlier. Eventually, he was transferred to Sheffield Children’s Hospital, where he tragically passed away after experiencing three cardiac arrests.

The jury learned that Hunter had been erroneously administered an antibiotic overdose during subsequent visits to Chesterfield Royal Hospital. Instead of the recommended 94mg of Clindamycin, he received 940mg, indicating a critical medication error.

Despite the medication blunder, the coroner advised the jury that there was minimal evidence to suggest that it significantly influenced Hunter’s death. Hunter’s parents expressed their ongoing anguish and dissatisfaction with the hospital’s handling of the situation, emphasizing the lack of clarity regarding the impact of the antibiotic overdose.

An official statement from Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust acknowledged that ibuprofen, contrary to treatment guidelines for chicken pox, had been administered to Hunter. This decision potentially masked early signs of infection, leading to a delayed diagnosis of Group A Streptococcal infection during his initial hospital admission.

The trust admitted to missed opportunities in Hunter’s care and recognized that false reassurance from the initial treatment may have hindered a timely diagnosis. The parents of the baby expressed their heartbreak and frustration over the situation, highlighting the emotional toll of the ordeal and the quest for answers surrounding their son’s tragic passing.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *